[Mageia-dev] Logging + Provides/Requires (Re: [RFC] rsyslog vs journalctl)

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Feb 8 11:31:42 CET 2013

'Twas brillig, and AL13N at 07/02/13 18:43 did gyre and gimble:
> Op donderdag 7 februari 2013 15:10:43 schreef Guillaume Rousse:
>> Le 07/02/2013 14:40, Colin Guthrie a écrit :
>>> Is anyone against the name "system-logger"? If so I'll update things
>>> accordingly. Other name suggestions welcome.
>>
>> Fine with me.
>
> that's fine.

OK, so before I make the changes can we decide on the general process:

 Q) Will we make persistent disk-based journals optional?
   Yes: Makes it harder to ask a consistent question to extract debug.
   No: Some people will moan.

To counter the no we can just say: "Just do 'rm -rf /var/log/journal'
and do that again if we issue updates to the systemd package." Not crazy
elegant, but at least then it's the exception rather than the rule.

Anyway, the reason I ask this question is that because basesystem
requires systemd, and as systemd would be the package providing
system-logger, there hardly seems any point in adding system-logger in
the first place. It would only really make sense if we made it optional.

In all other cases where apps don't strictly need a syslog (i.e.
fail2ban may be an exception), they should probably just drop the
requires on syslog-daemon. It's not like you could boot it without
systemd anyway ;)

So what do you think now? Yes or no for forcing disk-based journal logs?