[Mageia-dev] Why ntpdate still there?

Pierre Jarillon jarillon at abul.org
Mon Feb 11 15:34:31 CET 2013

Le lundi 11 février 2013 13:57:52, Johnny A. Solbu a écrit :
> I have a few setups where running an ntp daemon is undesired, yet I need to
> periodically manually set the clock. I have two laptops which is off most
> of the time, and when I do use them I don't always have a network
> connection. So I need to set the clock manually using ntpdate when I do
> have a connection.
>
> If it disappears I will miss it, and most likely look for a replacement, if
> there is one.

According my reply to Colin, ntpd -g  does the same job than ntpdate.
The option -g is now used by default in /etc/sysconfig/ntpd

Perhaps a script "ntpdate" executing  `ntpd -g` could be useful?

I have also a question about ntp-wait : I have read its code (perl) but I
don't understand what is its use.

--
Pierre Jarillon - http://pjarillon.free.fr/
Vice-président de l'ABUL : http://abul.org