[Mageia-dev] Why ntpdate still there?

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Feb 11 16:24:08 CET 2013

'Twas brillig, and Pierre Jarillon at 11/02/13 14:34 did gyre and gimble:
> Le lundi 11 février 2013 13:57:52, Johnny A. Solbu a écrit :
>> I have a few setups where running an ntp daemon is undesired, yet I need to
>> periodically manually set the clock. I have two laptops which is off most
>> of the time, and when I do use them I don't always have a network
>> connection. So I need to set the clock manually using ntpdate when I do
>> have a connection.
>>
>> If it disappears I will miss it, and most likely look for a replacement, if
>> there is one.
>
> According my reply to Colin, ntpd -g  does the same job than ntpdate.
> The option -g is now used by default in /etc/sysconfig/ntpd
>
> Perhaps a script "ntpdate" executing  `ntpd -g` could be useful?
>
> I have also a question about ntp-wait : I have read its code (perl) but I
> don't understand what is its use.

In theory it's meant to wait until the time is stable, and holds up
time-sync.target accordingly.  Thus any other systemd unit that is
ordered "After=time-sync.target" will be delayed until after ntp-wait
has exited.

time-sync.target is meant to be a generic name and thus any units that
need such ordering should use it and not ntp-wait.service directly
(other ntp implementations may achieve the same result, but with
different units).

I'm not overly sure we actually have anything ordered after
time-sync.target anyway, but that's why it exists (to the best of my
understanding anyway)