[Mageia-dev] NetworkManager 0.9.8

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Feb 21 14:32:19 CET 2013

'Twas brillig, and Maurice Batey at 21/02/13 13:02 did gyre and gimble:
> Is there any move towards using NM as *the* network manager for Mageia?

Not sure about the "for Mageia" bit, but overall most of the distros
seem to use it and the DEs have nice integration. That said, I think
there is still too much churn in this space to say that NM will be the
winner long term. It certainly stands a good chance right now, but I'll
reserve judgement for the next year or two.

Regarding the static network configs (which is still something people
want, especially for e.g. servers where a UI focused system is not
really needed), which are soon to be pretty much the only role of the
"initscripts" package, these will eventually be migrated to systemd.
Work on this has not yet started as there is a lot of cross distro
divergence in this area and coming down on a "standard" way of
configuring things that will work for all the distros will take some time.