[Mageia-dev] GRUB can't see HD from chroot unless parent /dev is bind-mounted in chroot ?

Liam R E Quin liam at holoweb.net
Wed Jan 16 17:30:27 CET 2013

On Wed, 2013-01-16 at 16:24 +0000, Colin Guthrie wrote:

> Personally I've been bind mounting /dev, /proc and /sys for years
> whenever doing any rescuecd etc. stuff. Partly because I have several
> LVM volumes where a static /dev/ wouldn't help anyway...
>
> But bind mounting /dev has just been part of my chroot routine for as
> long as I remember.

Knowing about this would have saved me several days after trying to
install the mageia beta (I now have it running with the
3.6.5-tmb-desktop-3.mga3 kernel as the 3.8 one is broken without a fix
to the recursive panic problem, which is fixed upstream). It's not
obvious to people who don't do it often :-)

Why not add a command to the rescue disk,
bind-mount dir - mount /dev, /proc and /sys as /dir/dev etc for chroot

Liam