[Mageia-dev] GRUB can't see HD from chroot unless parent /dev is bind-mounted in chroot ?

AL13N alien at rmail.be
Wed Jan 16 20:48:27 CET 2013

Op woensdag 16 januari 2013 11:30:27 schreef Liam R E Quin:
> On Wed, 2013-01-16 at 16:24 +0000, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> > Personally I've been bind mounting /dev, /proc and /sys for years
> > whenever doing any rescuecd etc. stuff. Partly because I have several
> > LVM volumes where a static /dev/ wouldn't help anyway...
> >
> > But bind mounting /dev has just been part of my chroot routine for as
> > long as I remember.
>
> Knowing about this would have saved me several days after trying to
> install the mageia beta (I now have it running with the
> 3.6.5-tmb-desktop-3.mga3 kernel as the 3.8 one is broken without a fix
> to the recursive panic problem, which is fixed upstream). It's not
> obvious to people who don't do it often :-)
>
> Why not add a command to the rescue disk,
> bind-mount dir - mount /dev, /proc and /sys as /dir/dev etc for chroot
>
> Liam

because in fact, it's not really the correct solution (and there's multiple
solutions for this too)

A) mount --bind solution (in fact, only /dev is required) ; mount /proc and
/sys can be done inside.
B) in fact, udev people told us for a while now, you'd better just run udev
inside the chroot, instead of mount --bind 'ing it.
C) of course, udev is not inside systemd, so it appears the new way is now to
somehow spawn a systemd process inside the chroot (maybe systemd-nspawn?)

oh well, rescuing is for advanced users, so i don't really see the need here.
rescue should be as small as possible anyway.

i have no clue how you'd be successfull without binding; i didn't think disk
devices were statically made anyway, at least not sdX.