[Mageia-dev] GRUB can't see HD from chroot unless parent /dev is bind-mounted in chroot ?

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Jan 17 10:45:27 CET 2013

'Twas brillig, and Bruno Cornec at 16/01/13 23:41 did gyre and gimble:
> Colin Guthrie said on Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 09:17:46PM +0000:
>
>>> C) of course, udev is not inside systemd, so it appears the new way is now to
>>> somehow spawn a systemd process inside the chroot (maybe systemd-nspawn?)
>>
>> Personally I think that's overkill.
>
> +1 and systemd works badly with chrooted prcesses itself as I
> experienced recently with squid :-( I'd like to have more time to
> experiment with LXC, maybe a easier solution for systemd usage (but not
> for what you tried to achieve).

Perhaps squid is not configured right, but systemd works very well with
chrooted processes - it's one of the core features to make chrooting
easier and prevent the need for boiler plate setup in numerous packages.
That said some changes may be required to make best use of this.

See part 6 in the (currently) 20 part series of blog posts regarding
systemd for administrators:

http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/changing-roots.html

(for full list see here:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd and look for "The
systemd for Administrators Blog Series")

Depending on the need for access to socket paths (e.g. for unix sockets)
then the /run on tmpfs can cause some problems (e.g. with cyrus-sasl
auth and chrooted postfix - previously hardlinks were used to allow the
chroot and host to see the "same" socket, but this was hacky at best as
there was no guarantee the chroot and host were on the same filesystem -
now they are guaranteed not to be on the same fs).

If you would like to detail the problems with squid and point at a
detailed bug report I can take a look or at least advise on the best
steps to take to get a really solid system.