[Mageia-dev] Feedback on Mageia 3 beta1

Davy Defaud davy.defaud at free.fr
Fri Jan 18 02:00:11 CET 2013

Le 17/01/2013 17:36, Maurice Batey a écrit :
> On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 00:10:35 +0100, Davy Defaud wrote:
>
>> I've also noticed that the installer hasn't automatically proposed GRUB2
>> as the default bootloader, whereas my root partition wasn't accessible
>> from GRUB legacy and I had no independent ext3 /boot. Of course, this
>> shouldn't be a problem if GRUB2 becomes the default bootloader for the
>> final mga3...
> Defaulting to GRUB2 would likely confuse many newcomers to Linux, so -
> at least for the time being - I hope it will not be the default**.
>
> Those who *know* that they need GRUB2 would still be able to get it.
>
>    (** Except where the installer detects that the machine *must use*
> GRUB2, which can then be flagged to the user. )

So did the swith from LiLo to GRUB...
The old GRUB version you still prefer is now called GRUB legacy, I guess
you understand what that means: no further developement, a dead end !
GRUB2 is the way to go despite its far more complicated configuration,
it has really nice modern features. And the decision to use it as the
default bootloader for Mageia 3 was taken several months ago :
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/FeatureMageia3_Review
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Feature:Grub2AsDefault