[Mageia-dev] What's the point of the latest nvidia update?

Dimitrios Glentadakis dglent at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 12:01:57 CET 2013

Στις 19/01/2013 10:51:21 Robert Wood έγραψε:

I have a modern nvidia graphics card on my desktop that necessittated having to get the very latest nvidia driver from the nvidia site and manually install.

So, when we had a nvidia pakcage update on my laptop, I thought I'd give the Mageia package another go, but it makes sack-all difference, it still just sits there doing nothing and says:

Failed to start Wait for Plymouth Boot Screen to Quit

So I went and looked on my laptop and it looks like it's v 295.49 whereas the very latest version is 304.43. I need this for my modern graphics card or the desktop refuses to boot. So, why bother with v295.49 when there's a much more modern one?

You can follow this guide with your own risk:

3. Installing proprietaty video driver for Nvidia from Mageia Russian Community repository
Be careful! That are unofficial repo and unofficial driver package! That can do some problems with your system like x-server don't start at system launching, etc.
If you don't know what you doing - don't do these actions!

for i586
su
urpmi.addmedia  --wget --distrib MageiaLinux.ru-i586- http://packages.mageialinux.ru/mageia2/i586/
exit

for x86_64
su
urpmi.addmedia  --wget --distrib MageiaLinux.ru-x86_64- http://packages.mageialinux.ru/mageia2/x86_64/
exit

Open RpmDrake GUI and use search.
You need find and install x11-driver-video-nvidia-current and dkms-nvidia-current packages with version 304.60 and prefix 1.mrc.mga2. Installation will be long.
After installation you need reboot your PC.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/1/846939071448270483/

--
Dimitrios Glentadakis