[Mageia-dev] Grub2 vs. Grub Legacy in M3

Barry Jackson zen25000 at zen.co.uk
Sun Jan 20 15:50:06 CET 2013

On 20/01/13 13:30, Maurice Batey wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 13:08:57 +0000, Barry Jackson wrote:
>
>> Installing the grub2 package will not impact your current bootloader in
>> any way.
>
>    Installing GRUB2 where, Barry?
> (MBR or  Root partition?)

I repeat - "Installing the grub2 package"

This automatically creates core.img in /boot/grub2/i386-pc/ which allows
you to boot into it from either grub2 using the multiboot command or
from legacy, using the menu entry shown in the readme.

> If - as I did with Ubuntu 12.01 - GRUB2 goes into the MBR, then I can
> no longer boot from its menu into a GRUB Legacy install, a I said
> earlier (despite the GRUB2 boot menu purporting to do so).

Works for me.

>> Once it's installed read /usr/share/doc/grub2/README.Mageia to find how to
>> add an entry to your existing menu.lst to boot into the new grub2 menu
>> from your existing legacy grub.
>
>    As I said earlier, I already know how to do that.
> What I still don't know (and still no one has described!)  is how to get
> a GRUB2 boot menu to successfullly boot a GRUB Legacy install.

Did you test it in Mageia as described in the README.Mageia ?

If you add Mageia (grub2) entry to menu.lst as described and boot into
the grub2 menu it will have all your legacy systems listed.
Do they not boot? All mine do.