[Mageia-dev] Grub2 vs. Grub Legacy in M3

Maurice Batey maurice at bcs.org.uk
Sun Jan 20 18:42:48 CET 2013

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 14:50:06 +0000, Barry Jackson wrote:

>  I repeat - "Installing the grub2 package"

  OK - so you differentiate between "installing with GRUB2" and
"installing the GRUB2 packge?

  Does the former include the latter?
Or do you mean one can install with GRUB Legacy and then go on to
install the GRUB2 *package* (which presumably doesn't do anything but
make itself available for the purposes you described)?

> This automatically creates core.img in /boot/grub2/i386-pc/ which
> allows
> you to boot into it from either grub2 using the multiboot command or from
> legacy, using the menu entry shown in the readme.

   What/where is the 'multiboot command'?

> Did you test it in Mageia as described in the README.Mageia ?

    The GRUB2 I tried was from Ubuntu 12.01 and Mint 13, not Mageia.

> If you add Mageia (grub2) entry to menu.lst as described and boot into
> the Grub2 menu it will have all your legacy systems listed. Do they
> not boot? .

  Good question. The "GRUB2-to-Grub Legacy' boots I attempted via GRUB2
in the MBR all failed.
   Next time I get the netbook out I will try booting a GRUB Legacy
install via a GRUB Legacy boot menu entry for booting a GRUB2 install.
(Remember, it has GRUB Legacy in the MBR.)

But I expect the result to be the same as booting GRUB legacy from
GRUB2 in the MBR.

If the failure to boot  was caused by a faulty GRUB2 component, as has
been suggested, then the test will have to await my installing Mageia-3
with GRUB2, which may not happen very soon.

--
/\/\aurice