[Mageia-dev] [council] *ping* Media query: secure boot support

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Jan 29 10:30:58 CET 2013

'Twas brillig, and Thomas Backlund at 29/01/13 09:11 did gyre and gimble:
> Olav Vitters skrev 29.1.2013 10:43:
>> [..]
>>
>> I'm wondering as well. I've been thinking to upgrade my system somewhere
>> this year. This means secure boot, UEFI, etc. It would be nice if Mageia
>> supports that nicely.
>>

> Supporting (U)EFI does not require SecureBoot support...
>
> we wont support SecureBoot for Mga3, and there is no rush considering
> a lot of changes is still happening on several fronts...
>
> I will try to see if I can fix the UEFI part for ~beta3, but no promises
> yet....
>
> And for people thinking of Windows 8 dual boot... Win8 does not
> _require_ SecureBoot either... (only the overprized RT does)
>

> And personally, I dont think we should ever bother with the SecureBoot
> crap as its flawed in so many ways...

On a semi-related note, it would be nice to package gummiboot although I
have no h/w to test it on.

For mga4 it might make sense to integrate it (assuming it's still a good
solution) properly into our tools.

Personally, I'm going to avoid grub2. It seems insane to me to implement
all kinds of exotic filesystem supoort and even md stuff in a bootloader...