[Mageia-dev] [council] *ping* Media query: secure boot support

AL13N alien at rmail.be
Tue Jan 29 12:09:00 CET 2013

> On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 10:02 AM, Guillaume Rousse
> <guillomovitch at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Le 29/01/2013 10:37, Wolfgang Bornath a écrit :
>>
>>> As for now Microsoft requires all W8 certified systems with secure
>>> boot to allow secure boot to be switched off by user/sysadmin. One
>>> reason why I do not understand the reason why all these people (Garret
>>> et all) are stumbling all over themselves to solve a problem which is
>>> not even sure to ever come by.
>>
>> I guess that's because secure boot may be considered useful, if you're
>> in
>> control of it, of course. And because something working out of the box
>> is
>> probably better when targetting non-experts.
>
> Yes I think the main problem is that for probably 10 years it had
> became easy for someone non technical to test/install linux, now they
> would need to change setup in the bios and would probably give up (or
> be scared).

no 100% sure, but some time ago, i remember someone looking into this with
motherboard/PC manufacturers and it seemed like most manufacturers weren't
even planning on having secure boot / let alone enable it by default.

I suspect that most PC manufacturers are putting the win8 sticker on it
regardless of it using secure boot. and i think that most win8
preinstalled PCs won't even be able to use secure boot.

in other words... is this REALLY gonna be an issue? (except for ARM
platforms)?

i'm not 100% sure on this, but i'm not really that worried atm...