[Mageia-discuss] Community forum

Remco Rijnders remco at webconquest.com
Sun Sep 19 15:55:23 CEST 2010

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 09:44:50AM -0400, SinnerBOFH wrote:
> On Sep 19, 2010, at 8:36 AM, Maurice <maurice at bcs.org.uk> wrote:
>
> >> Mailing lists are a good start, but we need to get a Web Forum
> >> up and running as soon as possible.
> >
> >  Yes, that would be a good move, but personally I would prefer a
> > newsgroup (simply because it's more convenient), if that were
> > possible.
> >
> Hi Maurice,
>
> I love USENET, been on it since mid 90's. But it's dying and new Linux users do not know that it even exists.
>
> Today web forum is the only way Mageia will be noticed.
>
> Sad but true.

But one thing doesn't have to exclude the other, does it? Even though
having NNTP groups may not be very visible, I would be happy having them.
Perhaps even some gatewaying can be done not just between the mailing list
and the newsgroups, but perhaps even to the forum boards?

Besides... despite what the popular opinion might be, you don't have to be
a rocket scientist to be on usenet! Many newsgroups have actually improved
in quality in recent years in my opinion.

Kind regards,

Remco