[Mageia-discuss] Community forum

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 19 16:14:24 CEST 2010

2010/9/19 Remco Rijnders <remco at webconquest.com>:

>> >  Yes, that would be a good move, but personally I would prefer a
>> > newsgroup (simply because it's more convenient), if that were
>> > possible.
>> >
>> Hi Maurice,
>>
>> I love USENET, been on it since mid 90's. But it's dying and new Linux users do not know that it even exists.
>>
>> Today web forum is the only way Mageia will be noticed.
>>
>> Sad but true.
>
> But one thing doesn't have to exclude the other, does it? Even though
> having NNTP groups may not be very visible, I would be happy having them.
> Perhaps even some gatewaying can be done not just between the mailing list
> and the newsgroups, but perhaps even to the forum boards?
>
> Besides... despite what the popular opinion might be, you don't have to be
> a rocket scientist to be on usenet! Many newsgroups have actually improved
> in quality in recent years in my opinion.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Remco

Although it's true what you say about usenet (I remember a very good
time on oulm (was that correct?)) and I loved reading lots of groups
with Emacs-Gnus, today the webforums are the way to go in userland as
mailinglists are the preferred plattforms in devland.

I think the main goal should be to keep everything as centralized as
possible. Announcements (to the users and the public) must be in the
same place as user discussions and support. Gates from one to another
platform are there but they are also sources of missing mails/postings
or inconsistent discussion threads.

The chaotic way of news publishing at Mandriva (sometimes even hidden
in blogs), discussions of the same topic taking place in several
plattforms (see MUGs forum and mailing list) was a nightmare, let's
not repeat the mistake.

wobo