[Mageia-discuss] [Cooker] Re: Transparency & open invitation to a united foundation..? [Was: forking mandriva]

Olav Dahlum odahlum at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 05:24:22 CEST 2010

 On 21/09/10 20:46, Jostein Hauge wrote:
> Tysdag 21. september 2010 19.30.31 skreiv nicolas vigier:
>>> Well...

>>> the pre-board team who can confirm/contradict me here):
>>>  1. I don't trust Mandriva existing and coming management, neither
>>>
>>> investors. Years spent over there as an employee, seeing things from
>>> the inside taught me that this company is, sadly, structurally broken,
>>> from the very top (investors) down to management and its practices -
>>> and for quite some time. Fixing it is an option, although very costly
>>> and requiring exceptionnal skills and commitment from management; I
>>> don't see this over there at this time.
>>>
>>>  2. Mandriva plans are non-existent at this time to me (yesterday's
>>>
>>> blog post is empty to me).
>> I completly agree with this.
>>
>> I don't want to have anything to do with current Mandriva management
>> anymore, I've lost any trust in them.
>>
>> Nicolas
>
> Please don't hold the Mandriva community hostage because of personal bad
> feelings you might have about the Mandriva company.
>
> If Laprévote invites to collaboration to make a foundation, then this should
> be looked into regardless of your personal feelings. I think most of us would
> love a solution like Fedora-Redhat.
>
> The name Mageia and the foundation might be kept. But what good does it make
> to have a new Cooker, new build system or bugzilla? If collaboration between
> Mandriva and Mageia is possible, then please collaborate.
>
> When someone reach out a hand, don't turn your back on it. Instead you could
> indicate what you think would be needed in order to make collaboration
> possible. Just saying 'no I wont collaborate at all' makes this look more like
> a vendetta than a constructive initiative.
>
> Maybe this was a bit too harsh, but I guess you get the point :)
>
> - Jostein Hauge (jess)

Well, I will second to put aside certain differences for the benefit of
the community and create a stable environment in which we can work.
I see absolutely no problem with Mageia or Mandriva coexisting, and in
the process share as much infrastructure as possible to avoid doing it
all over again.
If we keep as much as we can of the infrastructure on community hands, I
think this is feasible to achieve and it will secure the feedback loop
into Mandriva we've missed from e.g PCLinuxOS. Also, a pure community
based distribution is a great idea, as we're not always having the same
goals as Mandriva S.A. Both would benefit from an arrangement like this.
The community (Mageia) could serve the regular users, taking care of
more personal needs and release a distro fitting these. And Mandriva
could concentrate on becoming a direct competitor to Canonical and
Redhat (possibly Novell or partners if they can work out the financial
situation) and gain real foothold in the enterprise/SMB market. One of
the prerequisites for this happen is of course that we acknowledge each
others existence and collaborate. Meaning, we will all aid in the common
development of Cooker, but be a completely independent entity from the
company, making our own (community) decisions. But will still keep the
good relations between us intact. So let's say Mandriva S.A funds (on of
the donators, etc) the foundation which creates Mageia and thus securing
their own interests through keeping the community alive, compensated for
their contributions (which is very important to remember!). We'll leave
if the situation is unsatisfactory (remember, we're highly independent
people) and if a FLOSS project lacks the community it's doomed, so
keeping us happy is the key to success. All this current pickering
between former employees and current ones is just stupid and will damage
both. So I say, let's call for a truce and work together in advocating
FLOSS software.

Sincerely,

Olav Dahlum
- Finding solutions to problems since last month..