[Mageia-discuss] Mageia Forums

Maarten Vanraes maarten.vanraes at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 21:56:33 CEST 2010

Op woensdag 22 september 2010 21:21:25 schreef Marc Paré:
> > I am torn, on the ML vs Forums thing. I like forums, and I think for
> > normal users it would be easier for them. but; for more active devs/user
> > other Mageia personnel a ML would be better.
> >
> > not, sure how to resolve it, its an age old question.
> >
> > -Nex6
>
> Got it. So public forums seem best for the interest of the general
> public, ML (mailist) most likely best for devs mostly due to their
> speed? I would imagine though, that devs on ML would spend some amount
> (hopefully not that much) repeating requests for lack of easy access to
> prior emails. Is this what happens with devs? Do you find that you will
> spend a certain amount of time re-hashing emails as you would have
> missed some prior talk on a subject?
>
> Most concern then would be about the dangers of the detachment of both
> groups to one other -- hoping that somewhere along the line, devs and
> the public could have a place to mix so as not to lose touch with each
> other.
>
> A community is a little different from a business. The community members
> are all partners. There is no master-servant relationship, more of a
> direction-relationship.
>
> Marc

imo, users like forums and devs like mailing lists and possibly IRC even more

but, devs are also in contact with forum mods and some devs browse through the
forums once in a while.

furthermore forum mods probably like IRC as well (as also some users do)

but this kind of "seperation" is not necessarily a bad thing. users generally
discuss more lengthy things while working out what is best in their option,
conclusions about that are often indicated by forum mods/community leaders to
devs on IRC/mailing lists.

devs don't want to be too distracted by anything or they get no work done.

as a topping; users and devs also communicate through bug reports, i cannot
stress this enough, the easiest way to say to a dev, please do feature X is to
open a feature request on the bugzilla.

I see no need for all of this to change, i believe devs have a sufficient
advisory input from community; but since this isn't a business, opensource is
very simple, the dev decides what he does and what he doesn't do.