[Mageia-discuss] commercial support

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 25 09:11:05 CEST 2010

2010/9/24 herman <herman at aeronetworks.ca>:

> Here is the problem, which lawyers are concerned about and which many
> geeks prefer to ignore:
> "Can I distribute the modifications I performed on Mandriva One and
> Mandriva Free?
> You may not redistribute a modified version of Mandriva products unless
> all registered trademarks, brands, names and logos referring to
> Mandrivasoft are removed. This includes, for instance, the use of the
> word "Mandriva Linux", "Mandriva", the Mandriva Linux and Mandrivasoft
> logos. This is required to protect Mandrakesoft's intellectual property
> rights and to avoid creating confusion for our clients. However, if you
> wish to become a Mandrakesoft distributor, we would gladly welcome you
> as a Mandrakesoft Partner and establish a win/win agreement. See our
> Partner Page."

Ok, so all community editions of Mandriva Linux have to be erased from
the servers immediately.
Somebody should tell Mandriva and the communities that these editions
are not legal.
Of course this is not our (Mageia's) problem.

BTW: I never heard the term "Mandrivasoft" and there is no such entity
as "Mandrakesoft" any more, it is obsolete. If you pasted this
paragraph from the Mandriva site it is obsolete.

Thx for the information anyway, I'll tell all Mandriva Linux community
mambers to stop distributing those community editions.