[Mageia-discuss] Mageia's objectives and foundations

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Sat Sep 25 09:39:34 CEST 2010

Le 2010-09-24 16:10, Michael Scherer a écrit :
> Le vendredi 24 septembre 2010 à 12:42 -0400, Marc Paré a écrit :
>>> It took something like 6 months to produce the page you gave. And Fedora people have
>>> also worked on this since a long time.
>>>
>>> Our project as announced less than a week ago, and there is lots of work
>>> to do to get basic infrastructure, answer mails and so on.
>>>
>>> So could people please start to consider that we are only human living
>>> in a world with 24h a day, and therefor, that everything cannot be yet written,
>>> and that we should rush important document like this ?
>>>

>> I think the biggest problem here is that for most of the people, both on
>> the ML and GMane, the core group individuals are still a mystery. There
>> is no note on any of the pages identifying the initial organisers of the
>> Mageia project.
>
> Well, that was roughly a subset of the list of people in the first
> announcement ( before we started to add people ).
>
>> If this were published and public on the mageia.org page, then there
>> would probably be fewer questions. In fact, I think the core group is
>> making it more frustrating to themselves by not communicating clearly
>> who is behind the organising "right at this moment". This would leave to
>> such comments as you have said and heard from other individuals "So
>> could people please ...." be patient.
>>
>> The communication to the community should be clearer from the core
>> group. This is a necessity.
>
> Well, I am here to tirelessly read all mails on the ml and answer to
> those I think I can answer, and I think you may have overlooked when I
> presented myself on the ml.
>
> IMHO, saying "I am also involved in the
> launch of the Mageia project since the start some months ago." was a
> clear message.

Well, that may have been said on the ML before I got on the Gmane and
erased. The same could be said for eveyone else who got on the ML and
would still no know. But no problem.

> While I would not present or consider myself as "core" based on
> egalitarian beliefs, I think that for most people, I am considered like
> it.
>
> So except answers to questions that are not decided yet, what do you
> expect ?

I guess we are all trying to fill out the groups call to help out as you
had first laid out on the mageia.org page. But I guess if you now seem
to have changed your expectations of the community and no longer need as
much help, then, no problem. It is not "what do you expect" that we were
trying to help out with, but the group's expectation. No problem with
this again. I can wait longer and wait till you decide you need help then.

>> There should also be a regular representative who reports back to the
>> community. I think Anne is well known and respected and would be the
>> most logical choice for this. AND someone to replace Anne when she is
>> not able to do this after her working day. You need 24hrs a day
>> representation on the ML and GMane. I did notice that once the Europeans
>> are off and (obviously) at sleep, North Americans are on. You need to
>> find a way to service your community 24hrs/day.
>
> I think people are perfectly able to wait a few hours before getting a
> response from a community effort, don't you  ?
>
> Shall I remind the voluntary part of the engagement of most people on
> the list ?

We are all volunteering also. But then, no problem.

Marc