[Mageia-discuss] Mailist etiquette -- gentle reminder

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Sat Sep 25 09:43:22 CEST 2010

Le vendredi 24 septembre 2010 à 22:25 +0100, Margot a écrit :
> On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 20:19:47 +0200
> Jérôme Martin <mageia at delaur.net> wrote:
>
> > Le vendredi 24 septembre 2010, Marc Paré a écrit :
> > > There should be a recurring reminder of the mailist and Gmane
> > > list rules. There are many who are new to mailists and have
> > > never had the experience in group mailist etiquette. Some
> > > people find it annoying/frustrating when people top-post, quote
> > > whole passages etc. But we should be happy that there is so
> > > much participation. It just means that we need to every now and
> > > then send out a gentle reminder of the rules. I think that the
> > > "Mailist etiquette -- gentle reminder" should be posted every
> > > now and then by the Mageia ML maintainer just to add a little
> > > formality to the message.
> > Thanks to reminder this etiquette. It was quite difficult to
> > follow a thread where people top-posted and others quote all the
> > mail including mailing list signature.
> >
> Most email clients will automatically delete a correctly formatted
> signature block. Unfortunately, this list's signature is not
> correctly formatted - it should have two hyphens, followed by a
> space, followed by carriage return, followed by the signature
> contents - so users have to manually delete it.
>
> Compare my personal signature below with the list signature above
> to see the formatting problem - perhaps someone with admin powers on
> the list setup could correct this?

I think that's because the ml consider that the sender signature should
be correctly setup. IIRC, the list is running default setting of
mailman.
I guess I could change this, but I will first do some research after
taking my breakfast, because there is maybe a reason to not have the
default "-- " set up.

Alternatively, I think the footer doesn't help much, so maybe it should
be erased.

--
Michael Scherer