[Mageia-discuss] Mageia with Synaptic

Tux99 tux99-mga at uridium.org
Mon Sep 27 02:56:24 CEST 2010

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010, paulo ricardo wrote:

> I am not proposing to replace the "URPMI" by the "APT-RPM! I'm
> proposing we change the "Rpmdrake" with "Synaptic" and keeping the
> "URPMI! The URPMI is very good, plus the "Rpmdrake" is horrible!

Instead of saying "rpmdrake is horrible", it would be more useful if you
list what you don't like so it can be improved. No tool is perfect, I'm
sure Synaptic has flaws to, so just switching to Synaptic only means
trading one set of flaws for another.

Personally I find rpmdrake works perfectly fine (the startup speed
could need improving though), it does all I need it to do (and I would
consider myself an advanced user, since I have 15 years Linux experience
and work as a sysadmin) and then there are always the urpmi CLI tools as
alternative.

So lets stop wasting time by talking badly about all those things that
make Mandriva (and therefore Mageia) the great distro it is, and instead
lets concentrate on improving (rather than replacing) the tools of
Madriva/Mageia.