[Mageia-discuss] Mageia with Synaptic

Dwight Paige dwightpaige79 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 05:55:40 CEST 2010

> Instead of saying "rpmdrake is horrible", it would be more useful if you
> list what you don't like so it can be improved. No tool is perfect, I'm
> sure Synaptic has flaws to, so just switching to Synaptic only means
> trading one set of flaws for another.
>
> Personally I find rpmdrake works perfectly fine (the startup speed
> could need improving though), it does all I need it to do (and I would
> consider myself an advanced user, since I have 15 years Linux experience
> and work as a sysadmin) and then there are always the urpmi CLI tools as
> alternative.
>
> So lets stop wasting time by talking badly about all those things that
> make Mandriva (and therefore Mageia) the great distro it is, and instead
> lets concentrate on improving (rather than replacing) the tools of
> Madriva/Mageia.

What specifically is worse about .rpm packages vs. .deb packages? I've
used both and don't have a clue why someone would believe .deb is
inherently better than .rpm.

Also, what does synaptic do that rpmdrake doesn't do? Why are some users
clamoring for synaptic and add those features to rpmdrake? And would
these questions get a better answer on
https://www.mageia.org/mailman/listinfo/mageia-dev or
irc://irc.freenode.net/mageia-dev?