[Mageia-discuss] Package management system

Jerome Quelin jquelin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 09:48:06 CEST 2010

On 10/09/28 23:21 +0200, Michael Scherer wrote:
> Now, the "install package", "remove package" are basic features that all
> of them do. And I think that all packages managers are equal on that
> regard.

hmm. i know that some time ago (when smart was already in the making):
- yum had a basic dependency solving algorithm, not taking some
  things into account due to some lack of meta-information
- urpmi was quite correct at dependency solving, albeit a bit hackish
- smart was having real graph traversal algorithms, making it the
  cleanest

(i don't have more information than that, it was what i heard from
urpmi's developer at the time)

now - yum is working good enough, and is still under development. urpmi
is working more than well enough, and i'm waiting for it to be at fault
given some properly packaged rpms. smart is... well, unmaintained.

jérôme
jquelin at gmail.com