[Mageia-discuss] Package management system

Per Øyvind Karlsen peroyvind at mandriva.org
Wed Sep 29 15:10:44 CEST 2010

2010/9/29 Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org>:
> Le mercredi 29 septembre 2010 à 10:24 +0200, Wolfgang Bornath a écrit :
>> 2010/9/29 Per Øyvind Karlsen <peroyvind at mandriva.org>:
>> > Michael has already corrected you on this, Mandriva most certainly
>> > didn't want to see Niemeyer leaving.. :/
>>
>> This is at least debatable.
>> When Mandriva acquired Conectiva it was said that smart will be
>> supported and promoted on equal terms as urpmi/rpmdrake. That's what
>> Gaël Duval wrote in an interview right after the acquisition when he
>> still talked as representative of the company.
>
> Well, it was a example of the management thinking without knowing the
> reality of the real world, imho.
>
> Ie, urpmi had to be maintained, since drakx required it ( or a full
> drakx rewrite had to be done ). Having both python and perl in the
> installer would have been a mess IMHO, and this was already done with
> msec. So keeping smart and urpmi at the same time is just twice the
> needed ressources in term of communication, in term of testing and so
> on.
>
> The claim of integrating technologie is often seen when 2 companies
> merge, but it seems that upper management is not exactly aware on what
> "integrating technologies" mean.
I guess smart just simply weren't mature enough yet either as a
replacement for urpmi either must've played a big part in it as well..

I'm eager to do more and have done quite a bit work on smart for this
though (but not on GUI), really want it to behave much more like urpmi
and get rid of it's fugly apt heritage and poor genes from it.. ;)

I've already done a urpmisync plugin for using existing urpmi
configuration, media etc. in place, with support for either reusing
urpmi's mirror list and geolocation or updating such on it's own,
perhaps a wrapper for smart to act as urpmi with same arguments and
all could be a next step? This should be a relative easy task to do
once implementing more of missing functionality and  behaviour of
urpmi. :)

GUI isn't something I wouldn't like to touch with a ten foot pole though.. :p

--
Regards,
Per Øyvind