[Mageia-discuss] IRC community channels - need a ruling from the board

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 22:45:37 CEST 2010

Le 3 oct. 2010 à 22:05, Patricia Fraser <trish at thefrasers.org> a écrit :
> On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 21:43:15 +0200
> Romain d'Alverny <rdalverny at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Le 3 oct. 2010 à 21:12, Patricia Fraser <trish at thefrasers.org> a
>> écrit :
>>> SO, what we need to know is: are we going by geography (two-letter
>>> country codes as per the ISO list here:
>>> http://www.iso.org/iso/english_country_names_and_code_elements). or
>>> by language (such as en-gb)?
>>
>> Depends what people join channels for: language or local
>> acquaintances? [...]
>>
> In our case it was a local support channel for UK users, so it's
> geographic - could we support a mixture, so use the iso code for
> language if the channel is for language, but where there's a conflict
> fall back on the long form (such as en-gb)?

After reading Marc's suggestion, maybe:
 - keeping the 2 letters ISO format for locales (ie #mageia-fr for French, #mageia-en-gb for British English etc.),
 - using full country name for local-based channels (ie #mageia-france, #mageia-greatbritain)

could a solution? (although it makes for longer channel names).

Using two letters code for country and 3 letters code for languages would be more confusing.

Romain.