[Mageia-discuss] Wish List

Samuel Verschelde stormi at laposte.net
Mon Oct 4 21:42:14 CEST 2010

Le samedi 02 octobre 2010 22:42:27, Graham Lauder a écrit :

> On Sunday 03 Oct 2010 10:36:59 Sander Lepik wrote:
> > I remember that Mandriva once had 1 year release. But in the Linux world
> > things move too fast to wait whole year before new release. And more than
> > 2 is too much pain for everyone.
> >
> > --
> > Sander
>
> I'm a fan of OpenSUSE's release cycle every eight months.
>
> 3 releases every two years seems a good compromise

The eight months release cycle looks interesting to me :
- it gives 2 months more than the 6-months-cycle
- only 3 releases in 2 years, so 1 release less than with the 6-months-cycle. That's either
 * less releases to support at a given time
 * longer supported releases (If we could flag one release as a Long Term Support release every 2 years, that would be really great and Mageia could really be seen as a reliable distribution).

As someone whose main contribution is backporting software to the stable releases of the distribution, this compromise between the 6-months and 1-year cycles looks promising.

What would be the drawbacks ? What can the openSuse experience teach us ?

Samuel Verschelde