[Mageia-discuss] IRC community channels - need a ruling from the board

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Tue Oct 5 15:26:21 CEST 2010

Le 2010-10-05 09:04, Christopher Swift a écrit :
> Ar Maw, 2010-10-05 am 10:38 +0200, ysgrifennodd Romain d'Alverny:
>> So, no consistency planned for language/location for channels, let's
>> grow this. See http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=irc (will re-route
>> web site list to this one).
>>
>> Here, #mageia-uk first come for United Kingdom, first served. For
>> Ukraine/ukrainian-speaking, -ukr or -ua or something else?
>>
>> Romain
>
> Seems like this is all wrapped up at last.  Ideally we could a model of
> both local teams and language teams being able to use a 2 character
> country/language code.  It might be possible to have for example
> #mageia-es to cater for Spanish speaking support and local Spanish
> events if that is the will of the channel owner, or one or the other.  I
> reckon that we should take this on a case-by-case basis by listening to
> the teams involved in how they would like their #mageia-* namespace to
> be used.
>
> With regions such as Wales (Cymru in Welsh) it may be a better option to
> use three letter codes such as -cym for Cymru, -sco for Scotland or -bzh
> for Brittany.  Or we could have #mageia-fr-br to represent that Brittany
> is part of France and #mageia-uk-cy to show that Cymru/Wales is part of
> the UK.  We should try to stick to the ISO standards are closely as
> possible but there may be times where two groups, i.e. a country code
> and a language code may conflict and it best to serve those on a first
> come first served basis in my humble opinion.
>
> Anyone else got any differing ideas for the matter at hand?
>
> Cofion Gorau
> Chris

In order to circumvent problems with the confusion of 2 letter code with
country-code and language-code designation, the ISO ratified the ISO
country-code with 2 letters
(http://www.iso.org/iso/english_country_names_and_code_elements); ISO
ratified the ISO language-code with 2 or 3 letters
(http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/codes.asp?order=639_3&letter=e) -- not that
the SIL International, site that this link points to, is the
international organization in charge of codifying the language codes..

In our case a country-code designation and a country-code designation fo
3 letter would solve the problem.

#mageia-uk (channel for country-localization - UK)
#mageia-eng (channel for language-localization - English language)

#mageia-fr (channel for country-localization- France))
#mageia-fra (channel for language-localization - French language)

#mageia-es (channel for country-localization - Spain)
#mageia-spa (channel for language-localization - spanish language)

The is clear and easily explainable and verifyable by identifying our
reasons in a FAQ item with a link to the sites in charge of the conventions.

How easy is that?

Marc