[Mageia-discuss] IRC community channels - need a ruling from the board

Christopher Swift christopher.swift at linux.com
Tue Oct 5 15:04:07 CEST 2010

Ar Maw, 2010-10-05 am 10:38 +0200, ysgrifennodd Romain d'Alverny:
> So, no consistency planned for language/location for channels, let's
> grow this. See http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=irc (will re-route
> web site list to this one).
>
> Here, #mageia-uk first come for United Kingdom, first served. For
> Ukraine/ukrainian-speaking, -ukr or -ua or something else?
>
> Romain

Seems like this is all wrapped up at last.  Ideally we could a model of
both local teams and language teams being able to use a 2 character
country/language code.  It might be possible to have for example
#mageia-es to cater for Spanish speaking support and local Spanish
events if that is the will of the channel owner, or one or the other.  I
reckon that we should take this on a case-by-case basis by listening to
the teams involved in how they would like their #mageia-* namespace to
be used.

With regions such as Wales (Cymru in Welsh) it may be a better option to
use three letter codes such as -cym for Cymru, -sco for Scotland or -bzh
for Brittany.  Or we could have #mageia-fr-br to represent that Brittany
is part of France and #mageia-uk-cy to show that Cymru/Wales is part of
the UK.  We should try to stick to the ISO standards are closely as
possible but there may be times where two groups, i.e. a country code
and a language code may conflict and it best to serve those on a first
come first served basis in my humble opinion.

Anyone else got any differing ideas for the matter at hand?

Cofion Gorau
Chris
--
Christopher Swift <christopher.swift at linux.com>