[Mageia-discuss] Mageia governance model draft

Tux99 tux99-mga at uridium.org
Tue Oct 5 19:12:28 CEST 2010

Quote: Michael Scherer wrote on Tue, 05 October 2010 18:55

> As I said on irc, I kinda dislike calling a group "master" for
> packagers. We are trying to reduce the gap between developers and
> users,
> and as a developer, I am really bothered by such appellation because I
> feel it put too much distance between me and non developers, and I
> think
> we try to avoid that.
>
> More ever, some people think "I am not in the master group, this name
> sound made for important people so I cannot do anything", and do not
> feel empowered.

I agree an the bad choice of the word master is probably what triggered my
earlier negative reply.

Why not just use:
packager (for everyone who is experienced/trained)
mentor packager (for those mentoring apprentices)
apprentice packager (for those still being trained by the mentors)

There is no need to give an experienced packager a pompous title.
In FOSS what counts is the work done, not the title.