[Mageia-discuss] Mageia logo proposals and selection

Olivier Méjean omejean at yahoo.fr
Thu Oct 14 09:28:38 CEST 2010

Le jeudi 14 octobre 2010 05:16:39, Tux99 a écrit :
> On Thu, 14 Oct 2010, Graham Lauder wrote:
>
> > How many users does Mandriva have worldwide, compare that to the number
> > of computer users and you will see that the "one size fits all" does not
> > equal significant market share.
>
> Mandriva is not a "one size fits all". It is the best Linux desktop
> distro, but it's not the best choice as a server distro or for many
> other uses.
> The fact that it doesn't have more users is primarily due to the unfair
> advantage that Windows has because it comes preinstalled on PCs.

We have to separe MS market locking and Mandriva communication failure. When
bad news around Mandriva were there and when Mageia announces its fork, i've
read some (many ;) ) comments about how Mandriva is used in servers. Don't get
me wrong, i already knew that Mandriva could be used in servers. Anyway, you
can hardly find any information of this uses on Mandriva website, hardly no
study case is available on the same website that one could download. That's
the same for OEM installation in Brazil (or wherever), hardly no information
on that.

Being the best linux distro is not enough nowadays, we must let it know widely
and do feel that Mageia is not yet another distribution among hundreds of
distribution. Mageia is your future distribution even if you don't know it yet
! :)

Anyway, i don't think we can just transpose what's done for OOo to Mageia. OOo
just compete to MS Office, Mageia compete to hundreds of Linux Distribution, and
other OS, not quite the same scale.

Olivier