[Mageia-discuss] Mageia logo proposals and selection

Graham Lauder yorick_ at openoffice.org
Thu Oct 14 11:30:25 CEST 2010

On Thursday 14 Oct 2010 20:28:38 Olivier Méjean wrote:

> Being the best linux distro is not enough nowadays, we must let it know
> widely and do feel that Mageia is not yet another distribution among
> hundreds of distribution. Mageia is your future distribution even if you
> don't know it yet ! :)

And that is a fallacy of thinking, we should not be competing against other
distros, we compete against MS

> Anyway, i don't think we can just transpose what's done for OOo to Mageia.
> OOo just compete to MS Office, Mageia compete to hundreds of Linux
> Distribution, and other OS, not quite the same scale.

You are kidding of course, OOo competes in a very competitive environment.
KOffice, Gnome Office just in the Linux space, then on windows we're up
against Wordperfect, who have huge history in the space, Lotus Symphony, MS
Works etc.  In the Linux space,  Mageia competes with a whole pile small
players in a small market.  Total is around 1.5% of the total OS market, then
there is 3.5 % for Mac and the rest MS.

Now the following is my opinion only to be taken with grain of salt or
whatever condiment you prefer.

We are in the desktop computing market, the chunk we want a part of is at
present occupied by MS.  In this market the name we want to promote is Mageia,
we have no need to identify with Linux.  I have no problem helping the others
into the market but we need to focus on MS users.  If we happen to increase
the market for Linux then great but our focus should be on Mageia.  Right now
there are too many distros, linux is confusing to the market, we have no need
to identify with it.

Our goal should be be seen as the primary alternative to the encumbent  leader

Focus on why we are better and tell the world.

When the Steve gets people making  videos like this

http://blogs.technet.com/b/whymicrosoft/archive/2010/10/05/15-customers-who-
switched-to-microsoft-office-after-evaluating-openoffice-org.aspx

but focused on Mageia then we know we've made it

> Olivier

Cheers
GL
--