[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Wed Oct 20 16:35:04 CEST 2010

Kristoffer Grundström wrote:
> For newbies I think it's a great idea to make the installer easy to understand.
>
> Therefor I'd like to suggest that the installer would function like a
> questionaire-form.
>
> For instance:
>
> Do you intend to install Mageia on a:
>
> 1. Desktop.
> 2. Laptop.
> 3. Mobile

This is already auto-detectable by the MDV installer.

> What arch does your CPU have?
>
> 1. i586.
> 2. x86_64

This too.  Of course, the MDV installer currently decides which you get
by which boot.iso or isolinux you use, but that dates back to x86_64 not
working on all x86_64 chips, in order to allow those systems to install
i586.  Not sure if this is still needed or desirable.

> When it comes to the development of the unstable version, why not do
> nightly build-isos?
>
> That would help users to install Mageia by NOT using the netboot-iso
> or by upgrading from the stable which isn't recommended today & to see
> where there are any issues. Sometimes the netboot-iso won't install
> 'cause the mirror isn't answering properly.

I'm afraid that the reality is that you need a stable network connection
to a mirror and decent bandwidth to be able to follow cooker effectively.