[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 07:16:51 CEST 2010

On 22 October 2010 22:57, Juergen Harms <Juergen.Harms at unige.ch> wrote:
> There is a secondary issue tied to the questions discussed in this thread:
> is it good strategy to do all package selection quite early during system
> generation? At present, package selection looks to me as an integral part of
> the system generation process, "burned" onto the installation media. Must
> that be so? has this question already been discussed?
>
> Naively, I see an alternative: cut package selection into 2 parts:
>
> (1) have system installation start by configuring a minimum set of packages,
> those that are strictly necessary to obtain a running system for the
> hardware and the desktop environment auto-detected / user-selected.
>
> (2) install additional packages that customise the system to the profile
> desired by the user only at the end of system generation - that could even
> be delayed to the time the system does its first bootstrap (that could still
> be done in a way that is transparent to users who want an out-of-the-box
> installation).

With the current installer you can select "customize" (instead of
selecting KDE or GNOME) and uncheck all the options there when you
click next the installer will even give you options to:
- install/not-install X
- install/not-install suggested packages
- go with a really minimal system and not install even urpmi

So, either it's a new user, he can select KDE or GNOME; or it's an
advanced/experienced user, he can deselect all the packages he wants,
and go with a very minimal system to begin with and then add the bits
and pieces he wants.

--
Ahmad Samir