[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions

Morgan Leijström fri at tribun.eu
Sat Oct 23 10:12:41 CEST 2010

Den 2010-10-23 07:16:51 skrev Ahmad Samir:
> On 22 October 2010 22:57, Juergen Harms <Juergen.Harms at unige.ch> wrote:
> > There is a secondary issue tied to the questions discussed in this
> > thread: is it good strategy to do all package selection quite early
> > during system generation? At present, package selection looks to me as an
> > integral part of the system generation process, "burned" onto the
> > installation media. Must that be so? has this question already been
> > discussed?
> >
> > Naively, I see an alternative: cut package selection into 2 parts:
> >
> > (1) have system installation start by configuring a minimum set of
> > packages, those that are strictly necessary to obtain a running system
> > for the hardware and the desktop environment auto-detected /
> > user-selected.
> >
> > (2) install additional packages that customise the system to the profile
> > desired by the user only at the end of system generation - that could
> > even be delayed to the time the system does its first bootstrap (that
> > could still be done in a way that is transparent to users who want an
> > out-of-the-box installation).
>
> With the current installer you can select "customize" (instead of
> selecting KDE or GNOME) and uncheck all the options there when you
> click next the installer will even give you options to:
> - install/not-install X
> - install/not-install suggested packages
> - go with a really minimal system and not install even urpmi
>

> So, either it's a new user, he can select KDE or GNOME; or it's an
> advanced/experienced user, he can deselect all the packages he wants,
> and go with a very minimal system to begin with and then add the bits
> and pieces he wants.

It is good so far.

(And maybe we could add LXDE or other light environment as option like KDE and
GNOME for a noob that want to try put life in his old computer but is scared
off from customised mode)

But maybe there should be less packages included in the 2 or 3 complete
desktop alternatives, and instead after first desktop bootup open some noob
friendly program chooser/installer in accordance with Juergens part 2) above?

But, it IS convenient for most users to have at least Firefox by default, and
this and that.. have to put the limit somewhere.  Maybe the user should
choose office suite afterwards, email program, another browser, and be
presented simple methods to select CD burnig, music player, video editing,
gaming etc.

But, that raises next question: should Mageia propose a short list of programs
we propose, and how should thoose be chosen?  Then maybe user thinks, oh is
there so few program and not this progam X that I like, although Mageia do
have it, but he need to use the full installer to see them...

Need to be crafted so it without clutter give noobs a clear wiew, but at the
same time encourages and makes possible to use the whole repos when he knows
what he is after.

Maybe just simply add a "proposed programs" section to drakrpm, and make it
open it by default, and make drakrpm start upon desktop boot until user cliks
a box to have it not to.  So the user get the best served in his face,
without limiting his choices, nor he need to know yet another app, and we
need not do much development for it.

BTW, it should configure normal repos automatically, and it should be more
noob friendly to add, with exlanations, and a button from drakrpm dialog.