[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions

P. Christeas p_christ at hol.gr
Sat Oct 23 19:57:42 CEST 2010

On Saturday 23 October 2010, Michael Scherer wrote:
> Le samedi 23 octobre 2010 à 23:54 +0800, Kira a écrit :
> > 在 Sat, 23 Oct 2010 23:51:19 +0800, Wayne Sallee
> >
> > <Wayne at waynesallee.com>寫道:
> > > It gives a second desktop to fall back on, and guarantees all
> > > dependencies for KDE or GNOME aps, provides a fall back method to
> > > adjust setting such as font and such for desktop aps used in the other
> > > desktop, and gives the newbe the ease of switching to the other
> > > desktop until they decide which one they like. And installing both
> > > desktops is an easy way to install all standard aps for both desktops,
> > > and that new standard apps for the unused desktop is installed with
> > > desktop updates, so that it's there if you need it. Just like I like
> > > to have several internet browsers even though I rarely use the others.
> > > If one is giving you trouble, you can try the other.
> >
> > For fallback purpose, then you should get a light-weighted, but full
> > feature
> >
> > DE, which is not GNOME/KDE's strength. Currently in FREE version, the
> > fallback
> >
> > DE is LXDE, which does its job right and is really useful.
>
> Excuse me, but in which case does people requires a fallback ?

I can give you a case:
<flamebait>
if we start using GUI-only solutions for administering the system (see
network-manager, system-config-printer etc), then you will *have to* fallback
to any DE just to be able to repair some bad system.
If, on the other hand, we keep using the Unix/Linux (rather than Windoze)
approach of easily editable text configs and cmdline tools, then a fallback is
indeed useless.
</flamebait>

--
Say NO to spam and viruses. Stop using Microsoft Windows!