[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions: DE's, fallback and stability.

P. Christeas p_christ at hol.gr
Sun Oct 24 10:10:41 CEST 2010

On Sunday 24 October 2010, Renaud MICHEL wrote:
> On samedi 23 octobre 2010 at 22:55, Michael Scherer wrote :
> > then wouldn't it be better to have a way for kde to work when being too
> > broken ( ie, a safe mode, like windows and firefox ) ?
+++

 --

That's what my provocative message was frankly intended to point out.
Having system components which are fail-tolerant themselves, makes a secondary

The simple answer would be to have the _distros demand stability from upstream
projects_. Additionally, the distros (as final selectors of software) should
prefer the projects which have sound policies about error-handling and
degraded-mode operation.

Stability, IMHO, is not what Debian does: take 7 versions back and call them
"stable". It is the result of software quality procedures, objective choices
when deciding about code merges, "software engineering" when developing
something.

--
Say NO to spam and viruses. Stop using Microsoft Windows!