[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Wed Oct 27 01:23:37 CEST 2010

Maarten Vanraes wrote:
> Op woensdag 27 oktober 2010 00:52:25 schreef Frank Griffin:
>
>> Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
>>
>>> A solution could be to
>>> 1. hide everything but the application packages (no matter if GUI or CLI)
>>> 2. Insert such a list of options but give it an "expert" tag.
>>> 3. The most important: make a search result visible also if the result
>>> is something which would be hidden otherwise.
>>>
>>> Example:
>>> gstreamer-plugin-devel (don't care about the name) would be hidden in
>>> standard view. But if the user writes "gstreamer" into the search
>>> field it shouold be displayed in the search result view.
>>>
>>> This way we could even keep the current order with "programs with gui"
>>> as default. When the user no searches for 'mc' he will see it in the
>>> list of search results, although 'mc' would not be displayed in
>>> "Programs with GUI" view.
>>>
>>> Does anybody understand what I wrote? Can't explain it in better words.
>>> :)
>>>
>> Excellent point.  This mirrors something I suggested in another thread
>> about rpmdrake and repositories.  Show anything, if it's asked for,
>> whether the source is "disabled" or not.
>>
> OTOH for new users, this overwelming choice of programs can be quite
> overwelming.
>
> I would propose to have a bydefault hiding of most of the programs (more or
> less like now); but when once clicked off, to be remembered for next time.

Umm, you *did* read the bit about how the would existing "hidden"
choices would be hidden by default ?
> OR
>
> when you search and find nothing; to get a display that the view is switched to
> all; because it couldn't find your package

Well, maybe a popup to the effect that if you change your view you might
see what you wanted...
> OR
>
> have the results in two collapsable regions; where the first one contains the
> "GUI" packages and the 2nd is collapsed by default (when the first one is
> empty, it's collapsed and the 2nd one is open?

I think the above popup would do.

> I want this to be usefull for new users (while not being unusefull for
> contributers like myself) my dad, for instance, absolutely loves that by
> default the GUI packages are listed; because he never uses any console.

Hmm.  Does your dad really care, or are you just projecting onto him ?
In other words, did he actually use rpmdrake back when "All" was the
default and have a problem with it, or are you just assuming that he'd
want GUI packages by default because of what you know he likes ?