[Mageia-discuss] Mageia-discuss Digest, Vol 2, Issue 137

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Sun Oct 31 07:37:06 CET 2010

Le 2010-10-31 02:07, Dale Huckeby a écrit :
> On Fri, 29 Oct 2010, Marc Paré wrote:
>
>> I am more in favour of the sequence, at installation, when you get to
>> the point where you choose "KDE" "GNOME" "Custom", the user picks
>> "Custom" where she/he is presented with options for "Young Family";
>> SOHO; "Gaming" "Education"; "Business"; "Development"; etc. The user
>> could pick more than one choice that will bst suit the description of
>> his present preference of installation. Of course some of the packages
>> may appear in one or more list, but there will be no doubling of
>> installed packages. These options are very clear and easily
>> understandable by all.
>>
>> Categories such as "Beginner" "Medium" "Advanced" and "Expert" are
>> very subjective terms. What one may consider an "Advanced" person may
>> really be a "Medium" user by someone else's definition and etc.
>
> Options should be based on usage, not on a category the user belongs to.
> Hence "Development" is a meaningful choice, because it describes a
> specific kind of usage, whereas "Young Family" is basically incoherent.
> Spell out the things you think a young family will typically use a
> computer for, and let those USAGES be part of the list the person
>
> Dale Huckeby

Hi Dale:

I totally agree with this category. The different categories had only
been suggested and were still up to debate. I personally would not
recommend "Young Family" as, again, it is very subjective. I happen to
think that I have a very young family at heart but have been married for
over 25 years.

The other categories that are not subjective: "Business"; "Web
Development"; "Academia"; "Education (Primary/Secondary"; "Music"; ...
and more. These categories would be discussed at length on this mailist
before submitting the proposal. And again, different software packages
could possibly apply to more than one category, but would still be only
installed once.

These choices would then reflect that particular person or person(s)
expected usage of the distro.

Marc