[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions for the ISO

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 31 18:41:57 CET 2010

2010/10/31 Maarten Vanraes <maarten.vanraes at gmail.com>:

> well, in any case, we should have some kind of policy regarding packages; the
> "official community versions" should be built in more or less the same way with
> the same base packages, diff translations and diff other packages.

Hmm, this would take away the freedom of choice and creation from the
makers of the special community editions. Take one of the existing
editions, the MUD LXDE Edition, which was compiled on the basis of a
Mandriva ONE but without all the Gnome/KDE stuff, without firefox and
OpenOffice, with the goal to create an edition for low ressources
machines. Having a packages policy there would limit the options for
such special editions.

There is the official edition (or editions) which will be rolled out
by Mageia, and here a policy comes without asking. But "non-official"
like a Navit Editionm or a XFCE Edition should be very free in choice
of the their packages. Otherwise special editions make no sense. If
you have to stick to a basic package set you don't need special
editions, all you need are "task" meta-packages.

--
wobo