[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions for the ISO

Maarten Vanraes maarten.vanraes at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 21:52:49 CET 2010

Op zondag 31 oktober 2010 18:41:57 schreef Wolfgang Bornath:
> 2010/10/31 Maarten Vanraes <maarten.vanraes at gmail.com>:
> > well, in any case, we should have some kind of policy regarding packages;
> > the "official community versions" should be built in more or less the
> > same way with the same base packages, diff translations and diff other
> > packages.
>
> Hmm, this would take away the freedom of choice and creation from the
> makers of the special community editions. Take one of the existing
> editions, the MUD LXDE Edition, which was compiled on the basis of a
> Mandriva ONE but without all the Gnome/KDE stuff, without firefox and
> OpenOffice, with the goal to create an edition for low ressources
> machines. Having a packages policy there would limit the options for
> such special editions.
>
> There is the official edition (or editions) which will be rolled out
> by Mageia, and here a policy comes without asking. But "non-official"
> like a Navit Editionm or a XFCE Edition should be very free in choice
> of the their packages. Otherwise special editions make no sense. If
> you have to stick to a basic package set you don't need special
> editions, all you need are "task" meta-packages.

I was merely stating that there should be a sort of policy:

eg:

* please only include rpms from this current stable tree"
* please include at least task-basesystem and blabla

i'm not saying stuff has to be strict, only well enough so we know that no
unstable, testing, and other rpms are on the ISOs, so when users come
complaining about something that we don't look in the wrong place...

in effect, it could be like some sort of certification.

like knowing after stable release that people aren't having the alpha's or
beta's...