[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions for the ISO

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Sun Oct 31 21:10:04 CET 2010

Le 2010-10-31 13:49, Juergen Harms a écrit :
> On 10/31/2010 04:24 PM, Marc Paré wrote:
>> I agree. This is where a great Mageia Community would delegate the CD
>> burning to a member or "neighbour". Maybe even offer some help with
>> installation and trouble-shooting too.
>
> Yes, that is the spirit of my suggestion (and that does not go far
> beyond what is happening all the time in a forum).
>
> I start wondering: is there a hidden formal issue with sending CDROMs
> "left and right" - not within a more or less well-defined Mageia-userxx
> community? Certainly no problem if I give a couple of CDROMs to some
> neighbours I know (for instance via forum acquaintanceship). But what if
> I do the same thing with people I dont know at all? and, moreover, if I
> start claiming that I do this "on behalf of / by delegation from Mageia?
>
> Would be good if - once the time comes - Mageia formulates a couple of
> words on what Mageia considers good practice, and what not.

Yes, then, it would be good if Mageia had a policy regarding the burning
of discs. However, let's remember that a user asking for a DVD due to
his not being able to download from the Mageia site is asking for help
to download the Mageia product from the Mageia site. She/He could in
essence be given a computer a the Community (headquarters) and he/she
could download and burn the ISO. There would be no need for a policy in
this case.

Now if a member of the Community did the same, would this be in the name
of the Mageia group.

I can see where the Community "mass" produced the discs and started
passing them to complete strangers who had no idea of Mageia, well, then
there should be a policy about the burning and of the community involvement.

Marc