[Mageia-discuss] Mageia-discuss Digest, Vol 2, Issue 137

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Mon Nov 1 05:35:51 CET 2010

Juergen Harms a écrit :

> An alternative for the practical information of this help information:
>
> Personally, I have made a habit of putting this kind of help into
> popup windows that pop up when you "hover" over the question.
>
> - that avoids cluttering the display with information which half of
> the users dont need
>
> - but, having things pop up (accidentally) may be quite annoying;
> therefore my help popups are controlled by two checkbuttons
>    (1) enable the popup feature permanently
>    (2) enable the popup feature once only
>
> (2) turns out to be particular useful
>
> Evidently, to use popups or not is a question of GUI style and must
> fit into the overall "look" - but since this issue is being discussed:
> yet another 2 cents.

Personally I don't like popups for anything more than a few words, but
I'm not strongly opposed either.
Popups do have a disadvantage if the user, for whatever reason, does not
have a working mouse available.  Athough admittedly awkward, one can
navigate the installation process using tab, shift/tab.
As well, what would happen if the user wants to look at the popup info a
second time if (2) is selected ?
Of course, with buttons, and maybe an option "(3) no popups", we could
have the best of both worlds. :)

- André