[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions for the ISO

Luca Berra bluca at vodka.it
Wed Nov 3 07:24:29 CET 2010

On Tue, Nov 02, 2010 at 11:49:44PM +0100, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
>2010/11/2 Luca Berra <bluca at vodka.it>:
>>
>> then redhat must be crazy to use it to provide isos for fedora13 ?!?
>> and debian and ubuntu as well...
>
>I don't know for Red Hat or any other, may be they have been using it
>for a while before the project was announced to be in "maintenance
>mode". I only think that we should not start with something which
>seems to have neither a future nor an active maintainer for security
>fixes.
>
>It's not the features (although a "GUI remains unfinished" is not a
>good ad), it's the security fixes I care about.

I don't know what to say...
I think the idea behind jigdo is very nice, but probably in our fast
moving and consumistic world anything that goes against waste of
resources is uncool.

I wonder if you and others took the time to look at what the thing does
besides reading the warning and jumping at the chance to bash me.  And
being pedantic i'd like to point out that i initially stated "something
like jigdo"

googling i bit it appears redhat did a rewrite in python (using
twisted), it has been last updated about 1 year ago. Being what it is i
do not really expect it to be updated very often. for a comparison last
wget release was on september 2009.

Jigdo is a simple tool whose purpose is to merge package files plus a
template in order to create a finished iso, identical to the one that a
distribution would provide.

About the issue you raise, i may be partial here, but i would like to
point out:
The project is in "maintenance mode" does not mean: "the project is
unmaintained"

the tool is widely used (debian, ubuntu) so i guess in case a security
issue is found, the community could easily provide a fix.

L.

Luca Berra -- bluca at vodka.it