[Mageia-discuss] Introducing mageia-app-db

Benoit Audouard baud123 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 01:47:43 CET 2010

Re,

2010/11/3 Samuel Verschelde <stormi at laposte.net>
 I tried to explain this project there :
http://mageiacauldron.tuxfamily.org/MageiaAppDb

- allow to browse the package database, provide the main informations about
> packages, like any other distribution does (see
> http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages for example).

or like http://sophie.zarb.org for
http://sophie.zarb.org/rpm/cooker,/gcompris gcompris package (would be in
task-edu ?)

- focus on interaction between users, testers and packagers (backports
> requests and voting, new soft requests and voting, and the other way round :
> testing requests from packagers to users)

well, sophie does not address this, indeed :)

> - customizable user notifications on your home page, RSS feed or e-mail
> (new backport available for you preferred soft, new update candidate
> available and awaiting testing...)

additions to sophie (nearly existing)

> I tried to explain this project there :
> http://mageiacauldron.tuxfamily.org/MageiaAppDb

congrats, from what I've seen, it's approved by the board :-)

> It was announced yesterday during the founders meeting :
> http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=meetings
>
> The project is at its very beginning, and the task is huge, so we'll
> proceed step by step. You can see our temporary roadmap here :
> http://github.com/agallou/mageia-app-db/wiki/ROADMAP

o_O tell the difference between what exists and what could be added :)

Right now, I'm mainly interested in your comments on this project, and also
> welcome any suggestions about the needs we have to answer (did we forget
> something ?), and ideas of functionalities. It doesn't mean we'll be able to
> implement everything, but at this stage I want to envision every possible
> idea :)

I think that addition to what exists should be privileged, be it sophie or
http://doc4.mandriva.org (when it works :/). Existing solutions being added
and analysed at the bottom of
http://mageiacauldron.tuxfamily.org/MageiaAppDb and appropriately documented
when it answers practical requirements :-) (yeah voting is all a part of it
being successful imho :D people taking in charge being a reason for
effective success).

@++
Ben'. aka baud123