[Mageia-discuss] Introducing mageia-app-db

Samuel Verschelde stormi at laposte.net
Thu Nov 4 22:34:40 CET 2010

Le jeudi 4 novembre 2010 01:47:43, Benoit Audouard a écrit :
> 2010/11/3 Samuel Verschelde <stormi at laposte.net>
> > It was announced yesterday during the founders meeting :
> > http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=meetings
> >
> > The project is at its very beginning, and the task is huge, so we'll
> > proceed step by step. You can see our temporary roadmap here :
> > http://github.com/agallou/mageia-app-db/wiki/ROADMAP
> >

> o_O tell the difference between what exists and what could be added :)

Well, what do you mean ?

> Right now, I'm mainly interested in your comments on this project, and also
> > welcome any suggestions about the needs we have to answer (did we forget
> > something ?), and ideas of functionalities. It doesn't mean we'll be able to
> > implement everything, but at this stage I want to envision every possible
> > idea :)
>

> I think that addition to what exists should be privileged, be it sophie or
> http://doc4.mandriva.org (when it works :/).

Sophie is not only a database of Mandriva RPM packages, but a database of RPM-based linux distributions' RPMs.
From what I know, sophie is :
- scripts that update a huge RPM database
- the database in itself
- an IRC bot + a web site (sophie.zarb.org)

Olivier Thauvin started to rewrite sophie so that it can provide package informations to other websites or applications. Mageia-app-db will probably get information from sophie's database via XML-RPC or any other means.

The http://doc4.mandriva.org project looks interesting, but it's hard to find information about its future and it's directly affiliated to Mandriva, so I don't know if I can come there and say "hey we have these needs at Mageia, can we change the project's direction so that it's useful for us ?" Do you have information about the project's goals and roadmap ? I remember hoping that doc4 would be the package database I dreamed of, but then the project didn't communicate much nor show new progress.

Regards

Samuel Verschelde