[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions for the ISO

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Fri Nov 5 03:12:19 CET 2010

> Le 2010-11-02 08:02, Tux99 a écrit :

>>> I suggest you review MDV's release procedures.  Full releases and
>>> security updates go through formal QA.  Backports are often not even
>>> tested by the person building the rpm.
>>
>> Backports? Who is talking about backports?
>> We are talking about normal security and bug-fix updates here.
If one selects "all updates" in Rpmdrake, it includes backports, if such
repositorys are enabled.

>>> And they get addressed through updates which themselves go through QA.
>>
>> Exactly, that's why it make sense to release an updated iso with them
>> included.
>
> Agreed, we are not talking about backports at all. This issue is about
> giving out an ISO disk with all official updates (to that date) to
> people who cannot have their slow telephone hookup tied up for the day
> to download our Mageia product or to user who have no hookup to the
> internet at all.
>
> Surely, the official updates have been thoroughly tested just as the
> original release? It not, then a warning should be put out to
> users/members that the official updates do not have the same level of
> QA as the original release.
>
> Marc

Even bugfixes often have errors.  Many times I've seen bugfixes of
bugfixes, and sometimes bugfixes of bugfixes of bugfixes.  (If you read
the description.)
If we go for incremental rpms (very much smaller), the only advantage I
see is for those without Internet connexion.
In that case, they wouldn't likely be vulnerable to security problems.
  So that leaves (other) bugfixes.
This is something that I think, for the time being at least, can be best
adressed on an individual or local community basis.

- André