[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions for the ISO

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Fri Nov 5 05:15:31 CET 2010

Marc Paré a écrit :

> Le 2010-11-02 10:04, André Machado a écrit :
>> Let's not forget that a new ISO each month will require more disk
>> space on server!
>>
>> Differences behind these "Update Packs" and Caldron can be that
>> MUP will be secure and tested regular updates, and Caldron not,
>> right? So, if MUP will be adopted, I suggest put ISOs on server
>> by two months, after this they will be deleted.
>>
>> Of curse, if local communities assume this work, disk space will
>> not be a issue and Mageia will can put in its website a
>> disclaimer that they're not responsable by that 3rd party ISOS
>> and recommend official ISOS for production environment.
>>

> Hi André
>
> I would find this counter-productive.
>
> I am just curious. As I am new to all of this.
>
> When I install Mandriva, I download the ISO from the Mandriva site,
> then after the install, I go to Google, Google "Easy URPMI" and
> install the official repositories and the PLF repositories. I then do
> an "update". On Mandriva 2010.1 there are now almost 450 updated that
> come through.
That's because 2010.1 was released in July.  (Some months late.)
Mandriva 2011.0 (car model numbering) is to be released soon.

> Now, do these updates come from Mandriva?
Yes, except for those coming from PLF.
BTW, you could have set up the Mandriva official repositories with
Rpmdrake instead.  (But not PLF.)

> If yes, are these updates not tested in the same way as the ISO
> packages? If yes, would it not be possible to construct and ISO with
> the "official updates" already applied? If yes, would it not make
> sense that Mandriva stand behind this product with the updates? If
> yes, then would the Communities be able to offer these to people as
> official ISO's from Mandriva?
Yes and no.  Security updates are the most tested updates.  Bugfixes are
also well tested.  But the ISO packages are well tested together (in
cooker), over a longer period of time.  Thus are less likely to have
errors relating to interaction with the system.
There is a reason for this.  If there is something wrong with an update,
it can be withdrawn.  It disappears from the repositories.
However if there is a bug on a release ISO, it stays there until the
next release.
There are bugs on the ISO, which is why security and other bugfix
updates are available.
But in percentage, updates are less reliable.
And no, it is not a good idea to merge updates into an official ISO and
release it as official.
First of all, it won't be.
And it won't be as thoroughly tested.

Note that security updates (and bugfixes) are much more urgent to
release than fixing problems in cooker, since ordinary user's systems
are at risk.  So there is less time to ensure perfection.

And also note that commercial systems, like those of Microsoft, even
with all their massive resources, are never bug-free.

> Note that you could then just replace the "Mandriva" name with the
> "Mageia" name.
>
> Marc

- André