[Mageia-discuss] Introducing mageia-app-db

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Fri Nov 5 06:38:14 CET 2010

Marc Paré a écrit :

> Le 2010-11-04 04:58, Samuel Verschelde a écrit :
>>
>> Le jeudi 4 novembre 2010 09:01:33, Daniel Le Berre a écrit :
>>> I noticed that web site a few days ago:
>>> http://apps.mandriva.org.pl/en/category/gnome
>>>
>>> It looks like it offers an "app store" like approach to package
>>> management for Mandriva.
>>>
>>> The current features are not much different from the current package
>>> manager, but it could be a good starting point for your project IMHO.
>
> I like the idea, but the descriptions are too short and there are no
> images and when a large section is called, you have to scroll too much.
>
> Nice idea though.
>
> Marc

And no vertical scroll bar
Actually, Rpmdrake is less flashy but more informative.

As for the proposed project, I think that the interactive nature fills a
big void which exists with Mandriva.  An excellent idea.

This project makes me think of enhancements to the existing installed
rpm database.
Although this project goes far beyond what would be useful in an
enhanced installed rpm database,
it might be a good idea to have the same/similar structure for the parts
in commun.
It would make it somewhat easier to maintain and interact between the 2
databases.

As far as the question of application/package view goes, folding entries
(as in Rpmdrake groups or Nautilus) which expands to multi-line would be
nice.
That way complex packages like Openoffice or Firefox could be folded
into 2 or 3 lines.
(1 for localisation, another possibly for optional modules, another for
core modules.)
Now Firefox is more than 100 packages.
This sort of suggestion has been made for Rpmdrake.
The advantage of this approach is that the minimised view could be the
default, and at any time it can be expanded to show all packages,
without any configuration settings.

For downloads/installation, using Rpmdrake (or equivalent) would be
preferable in most cases, as it could directly update the installed rpm
database.
However I think this project would be excellent for the other suggested
uses.

- André