[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions for the ISO

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Sat Nov 6 16:35:03 CET 2010

Le 2010-11-06 05:04, Margot a écrit :
> On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 16:24:11 -0400
> Marc Paré<marc at marcpare.com>  wrote:
>
>> Le 2010-11-04 22:12, andre999 a écrit :
>>

>>> Even bugfixes often have errors. Many times I've seen bugfixes
>>> of bugfixes, and sometimes bugfixes of bugfixes of bugfixes.
>>> (If you read the description.)
>>> If we go for incremental rpms (very much smaller), the only
>>> advantage I see is for those without Internet connexion.
>>> In that case, they wouldn't likely be vulnerable to security
>>> problems. So that leaves (other) bugfixes.
>>> This is something that I think, for the time being at least,
>>> can be best adressed on an individual or local community basis.
>>>
>>> - André
>>>

>> Therefore, for a Mageia Community to supply an ISO to a member
>> who has dial-up services but is seeking help from the community
>> for an ISO download. Options would be:
>>
>> * provide user with ISO from Mageia without any updates
>>
>> * provide a user with ISO from Mageia with incremental updates
>>
>> * provide a user with ISO from Mageia with all updates
>>
>> Obviously, the two last options are not available from Mageia as
>> this is what this thread was all about. Unless there were built
>> ISO's at the Mageia download site. The main concerns really are
>> the amount of disk space on Mageia servers and mirrors. But these
>> last two ISO's could be built somehow if the server space could
>> be accommodated and also if there was dev interest in doing these
>> ISOs.
>>
>> Marc
>>

> You missed my suggestion - provide 2 discs, one with the original
> (thoroughly tested) release ISO, and a second disc with the latest
> set of updates.

Hi Margot:

Sorry, I thought that the ISO from Mageia with all updates covered your
suggestion.

Here is the amended proposal:

================

Therefore, for a Mageia Community to supply an ISO to a member
who has dial-up, mobile services or no internet services but is seeking
help from the community for an ISO disc. Options would be:

* provide user with ISO from Mageia without any updates

* provide a user with ISO from Mageia with a supplementary disc
containing all updates

* provide a user with ISO from Mageia with incremental updates

* provide a user with ISO from Mageia with all updates

Obviously, the two last options are not available from Mageia as
this is what this thread was all about. Unless there were built
ISO's at the Mageia download site. The main concerns really are
the amount of disk space on Mageia servers and mirrors. But these
last two ISO's could be built somehow if the server space could
be accommodated and also if there was dev interest in doing these
ISO's. Delta discs at this point do not look like an option.

Marc