[Mageia-discuss] Kernel handling

Oliver Burger oliver.bgr at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 9 08:37:40 CET 2010

"Erin Wilkins" <erin at sea-dragon.net> schrieb am 2010-11-09
> Maarten Vanraes <maarten.vanraes at gmail.com> wrote:
> > the i686 _IS_ the default one for x86 cpus
>
> In the standard installer. But I believe ONE uses 586 to be able to run on
> as wide a range of hardware as possible.
Exactly! The problem is: the One shell run on all possible machines, so it
uses the i586 kernel. And there just is not enough space on a CD image to put
another kernel on it.
When you're installing from a Free you get the best kernel for your system.
With a 32bit system using less then approximately 4GB RAM you'll get the
Desktop (i686) kernel, when using more you'll get the Server kernel.

Oliver